Yup, it is said that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. However I have found that women prefer amethysts and garnet to the diamond in all my years of selling jewelry. In any case the diamond is the April Birthstone. And here are some interesting facts about diamonds…
- “Diamond” comes from the Greek word “Adamas” which means “I tame” or “I subdue”. Adamas was used to describe the hardest substance known to man at the time. Adamas became a synonym for diamond.
- The diamond is the hardest natural substance found on the Earth
- Diamonds were first discovered in Brazil and India.
- 80% of diamonds go toward industrial uses, so incredible to me as silver is used as well mostly in industrial use!
- Diamonds come in several colors, Champagne, Green, Yellow, Blue and Pink. Pink, being the most rare. And of course colorless.
I will never forget losing my first diamond. I have a beautiful setting and my center stone was just over a carat. My ring would just stop people. Which I just gotta say, I loved… I was at the doctors office with my daughter Paige, Paige wasn’t even a year old, and a gal was admiring my ring. Of course, so routine. I was just saying, “I know, isn’t it beautiful!” Well she wasn’t admiring my ring but trying to tell me my diamond was gone! I have to say, I was in complete disbelief and completely bummed! Talk about retracing steps all day long and with a baby, not my idea of fun. Now being that I was the “jewelry lady” I just thought to myself, “Self, I’m putting one big bad a$$ CZ stone in this setting until I can afford another one”. At the time there was no way we could afford another diamond and did that ever hurt my heart! Well 14 years later I got me another one, or I should say my hubby got me another one and can I just say this one is insured and has been since day one. Oh and can I just say, I love my ring and yes of course my hubby! Until we meet again…
Mary Elizabeth Glosup